Friday, December 21, 2012

0.0

Fine instruments measure fine amounts- today we see what chemo can do as Jim's white blood cells (the "WBC" in the picture of the white board) hit 0.0.  None, zippo, nada, rock bottom, lights out, nobody home and don't even think of sneezing in this room.  Obviously, everything other than 0.0 is an improvement.

In the next few days, they will be measuring his blood to see the differentials.  Okay, I'm not 100% clear on what that is, but in general believe it to be the preliminary measurements to see new growth in the blood.  I'll get back to you on this. We don't really expect to see noticeable growth for another week or two, but hey, we love numbers, measurements, information and any form of progress.

Other than a bit of GI distraction with the associated drugs to balance the extremes and a notable increase in fatigue, Jim has done outstandingly well with the effects of chemo.  Pooping, eating and sleeping are Jim's current agenda items. Dr. Nakamura told us that if  Jim hasn't had the nausea, vomiting and mouth sores common to chemo patients by now, then not to expect them at all.  My operating principal is "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition" but I'll lay it aside if we can avoid that mess; it is drama no one wants.  

On the entertainment front, between naps, Jim does keep amused.  He is surrounded by holiday cards. Thank you for them- the room is improved by the color and holiday cheer.  Jeff Van Gundy came by with fudge (which the staff enjoyed thoroughly), books and a happy smiling face. Tonight we will enjoy another good DVD with dinner.  All the music we've collected over the years, so much of it courtesy of KCRW's Today's Top Tune, makes for a fine ambiance   We are waiting for Eric Laun to bring his guitar in so Jim can start learning how to play it.  Don't ask me where this idea came from; haven't a clue.

Folks have asked about Miguel, the Guide Dog Puppy.  While Jim is in the hospital, there is no way I could continue to raise him. If you think it takes a village to raise a child, you are right and the same thing goes for raising a guide dog puppy. The CNI Puppies village rose to the occasion. Miguel is in a new home with Darcy Hermans and her family.  Darcy has been a puppy sitter and agreed to step up to being a puppy raiser in order to provide Miguel a home AND training until we can do so again ourselves.  Darcy and her family generously stepped into a chaotic situation to help us and we are completely grateful.  Miguel is adjusting to this new home, complete with 3 bipedal and 2 furry siblings.  He is now learning that chewing Christmas tree ornaments is not a good idea. 

Other thanks go to Mary Perrot for her poster at LBRA regarding this blog. While we can see that many folks check into the blog, if you leave a note when you are here that's extra nice. Jim likes to know who is visiting.

2 comments:

  1. Checking in from the Sonoran Desert - we are sending you a constant stream of hugs, good healing vibes, and Winter Solstice Happy Wishes! Looking forward to keeping up with the measurements, data, and progress. Smiles and love, Amy and Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim you are a special person to get me to venture into the world of blogging. I can relate to your being in the hospital on a holiday. When I was a freshman at the University of Delaware I got pneumonia and had to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital. I was surprised at who made the effort to come see me. I focused on being relaxed as possible so I could heal. I kept visualizing blackness with a yellow pencil spinning slower and slower until I was looking only at the point I would nod off and wake up very relaxed. I am sure you are doing something similar. I have been coaching an 8+ Friday evenings around Naples Island to see the lights and get a work out in. I was surprised how many people in the Duffy boats recognized me. I got comments at Ralphs, Starbucks and Schooner or later. You are in my thoughts as Mary has your poster outside the office and I see Ellen using the indoor rower. A.C.

    ReplyDelete